The Hankinson American Legion is a Veterans' organization that is community-minded. The Post sponsors American Legion Baseball, Boys & Girls State, High School American Legion Oratorical Contest, numerous projects & fundraisers, and supports Veterans and their families. Eberhard Post 88 was chartered in 1919 in Hankinson. The original charter members were E.W. Green, R.C. Green, Howard S. Cox, Chas H. Hart, Harold A. Cox, Walter O. Alm, H.J. Schuster, Chester M. Alm, David Kulberg, Harry G. Worner, Edward Kriesel, Nels C. Romerein, Oswald W. Ponath, Rudolph H. Hoefs, Casper R. Dennig and Rudolph P. Scheller. As the oldest community organization, the Post has provided the Hankinson community with services, donations and assistance for the past 91 years. The Post has been instrumental in developing and constructing most all recreation facilities and supporting community activities. According to past records, donations to individuals, organizations and the community is in excess of $350,000. This does not take into account the thousands of volunteer hours donated. The Post has provided the community with a Community Center building for the past 40 years. This has been done by the Veterans of the past and is being carried out by the Veterans of the present.
"It happens here."
Tim Kuehl, Post Commander
Dick Crooks, Vice Commander
Richard Meyer, Adjunct Commander
Arnold Althoff, Treasurer